Tasks lets you configure and save frequently-run imports, exports, data comparisons, migrations, Reschema, and data masking jobs so you can later run them with one click.
Task Scheduler takes it up a notch by adding a scheduling functionality so they are run automatically, whenever you need.
Automate MongoDB tasks
Tasks and Task Scheduler help you automate repetitive MongoDB jobs by allowing you to configure, save, and schedule tasks and run them as needed.
After saving your frequently-run jobs, you can run them on-demand using Tasks, or run them automatically using Task Scheduler.
Tasks and Task Scheduler currently support these tasks. What you can automate or schedule will depend on your Studio 3T edition.
- Import Wizard (all Studio 3T editions)
- Export Wizard (all Studio 3T editions)
- Data Compare & Sync (Pro and Enterprise only)
- Reschema (Pro and Enterprise only)
- Data Masking (Enterprise only)
- SQL Migration (Enterprise only)
- Go to the Studio 3T global toolbar and click on the Tasks button.
- This will open up the Tasks dialog, which provides an overview of all previously-saved tasks.
Create a task
To create a task, click on the New Task button. This will open the New Task dialog:
The dialog displays all the possible types of tasks you can create:
Select the task type and click OK. This will close the current dialogs and trigger the appropriate tab – depending on the task type – where you can continue to configure and save the task.
Here are the links to the relevant documentation:
- Import Wizard
- SQL to MongoDB Migration
- MongoDB to SQL Migration
- Data Compare and Sync
- Export Wizard
- Data Masking
Save a task
On top of each task tab is a toolbar with three buttons:
- Save task – Saves the task with its current name, or prompts the user to name it if it wasn’t saved yet.
- Save task as – Prompts the user to name the task and save it.
- Execute task – Executes the current configuration.
After saving the task, it will be visible in the Task Overview dialog:
Execute a task
- Select any number of tasks in the Task Overview dialog.
- Click the Execute button, or right-click on the task(s) and choose Execute. Studio 3T will then execute the task with the saved configuration.
You can track the progress of import jobs in the Operations panel. For Data Compare & Sync jobs, a Comparison Results tab will automatically open.
Find a task
You can search for and filter your saved tasks in the Task Overview dialog using the search bar on top.
Edit a task
- Select any number of entries in the Task Overview dialog.
- Click the Edit button, or right-click on the task(s) and choose Edit. This will bring up the corresponding tab, filled with the saved configuration.
Clone a task
- Choose any number of entries in the Task Overview dialog.
- Click the Clone button, or right-click on the task(s) and select Clone. A copy will be created for each selected Task, under the name “Copy of <task name>”.
Delete a task
- Choose any number of tasks in the Task Overview dialog.
- Click on the Delete button, or right-click on the task(s) and press Delete. The user will asked to confirm the deletion, after which the tasks will be deleted.
Schedule MongoDB tasks
Task Scheduler is the complementary feature to Tasks, which lets you schedule jobs to be executed automatically at specified times.
To schedule a task, open the Task Overview dialog.
Double-click in the Schedule cell of the target task. This cell is initially empty, meaning that the task hasn’t been scheduled.
This will trigger the Task schedule editor, which allows you to schedule the task. You can choose to run the task everyday:
Configure the schedule as desired and click Save. The task is now scheduled to run:
Server-side MongoDB job automation
Are you interested in running MongoDB jobs on your server? Help us shape the future of job automation for MongoDB and let us know what you’d like to get done.