In this post, we’ll show you how to connect to MongoDB Atlas, MongoDB’s fully-managed cloud database, using Studio 3T.
- Get your first MongoDB Atlas cluster for free by following these steps.
- Download the latest Studio 3T version on your Windows, Mac, or Linux machine.
Get the connection string from MongoDB Atlas
- In MongoDB Atlas, click on Context on the top-left corner and choose your project.
- Click on the … icon and choose Connect.
- Choose Connect Your Application.
- Choose your driver and driver version. We use Java and Version 3.6 or later in this example, but the latest version of any driver should also generate a compatible connection string.
- Copy the URI connection string. This is what you’ll need to paste in Studio 3T.
Connect to Studio 3T
- Open Studio 3T and click on Connect in the top-left corner of the toolbar. This will open the Connection Manager.
- Click on New Connection in the top-left corner, which will open a new connection window.
- Click on the From URI button.
- Paste the connection string you copied from MongoDB Atlas (see step 5 above).
- Replace the placeholder <PASSWORD> with your actual password, and click OK.
- Click through the Server, Authentication, SSL, and SSH Tunnel tabs and verify that the information is correct.
- Click Save.
- Click Connect.
Import data in JSON, CSV, BSON/mongodump or SQL
If you have an empty cluster, you can easily import JSON, CSV, BSON/mongodump or SQL to MongoDB with Studio 3T’s Import and Export Wizard:
Explore MongoDB data
Click on a collection in the Connection Tree to open a Collection Tab, which is the starting point of all data exploration in Studio 3T.
Or access the Visual Query Builder, a drag-and-drop MongoDB query builder ideal for both newcomers and pros:
Once you’ve built your query, click on Query Code tab to see how it translates to Java, Node.js, PHP, C#, Python, and the mongo shell language:
And that’s just one way of querying data in Studio 3T. There’s also IntelliShell, the built-in mongo shell with robust autocompletion; Aggregation Editor, the stage-by-stage aggregation query builder; and SQL Query, which lets you write SQL to query your MongoDB database.
Pressed for time? Subscribe to the Studio 3T YouTube Channel for quick MongoDB tips, tricks, and how-tos.