Server 3T is the first and only tool for MongoDB that lets you run on-demand or scheduled jobs on a remote server.
Server 3T requires a Studio 3T Enterprise license. Its first version currently supports Windows servers and two migration tasks:
Additional servers and tasks will be supported in upcoming releases.
How Server 3T works
1. Download Server 3T here.
2. Unzip the Server 3T zip file to your preferred folder.
3. Only if using Windows Defender Firewall: Allow the OpenJDK Platform binary app.
1. Go to Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall. Click on Allow an app or feature…
2. Go to
wherever_server_3t_is_located\jre\bin\ and choose the
java application file.
3. OpenJDK Platform binary should appear in your list of allowed apps/features. Choose to allow it publicly or privately as needed, and click OK.
4. Double-click the file
initialize.bat in the Server 3T installation folder to generate a certificate request. Alternatively, run it from the Command Prompt.
In case you see a pop up warning when launching
.bat files, click Run anyway.
5. Copy the generated certificate request. You will need to paste the entire text – including the lines —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– and —–END CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– – into the License Manager.
6. Log into your License Manager account and click on Server 3T on the left sidebar.
7. Click on Register an instance.
8. Paste the certificate request into the text box and click on Register. The Server 3T instance will then be linked with your Studio 3T license.
9. To continue the setup, open
server3t.ini.example (for first time installs) or
server3t.ini from the directory into which you unzipped the Server 3T zip file, which contains default values and a comment describing each configuration value.
10. Change the values as needed.
For example, you’ll most likely change the listen address from
127.0.0.1 to something else, so not only your local machine has access to it. Configure the listen address according to your setup.
11. For Oracle, IBM DB2, or Sybase users: You will need to download the official JDBC driver
.jar files and put them in the drivers folder, which is already in your unzipped Server 3T folder.
12. Make sure the file names in this folder match those found in the
server3t.ini file. Alternatively, update the file names in the
server3t.ini file to match those in the drivers folder.
- The lines boxed in green are the expected file names.
- The lines boxed in blue are those that need to be adjusted if need be (if either the path or the file name differs). The ; in front of the jdbcDriver=…. would also need to be removed.
13. Configure your JDBC driver in Studio 3T by going to Studio 3T > Preferences > JDBC Drivers, then select the JAR file from your directory.
14. Save the changes you’ve made to the
launch.bat by double-clicking on the file in the Server 3T installation folder. It should show a similar message:
install_service.bat from the Server 3T installation folder as administrator.
Note that the script requires administrator permissions, otherwise you will see this screen.
2. If successfully run as administrator, you should see a confirmation that the Server 3T system service has been installed.
You can then also choose to edit settings by typing Y when prompted.
4. Go to Services – or do a search for it on your machine.
16. Finish the configuration by opening Studio 3T, clicking on the Server 3T icon in the global toolbar, and selecting Connection settings.
17. Enter your port and host name or address (from which you can reach the server within your network) and configure the other sections (e.g. SSL, proxy, protocol) as needed.
Regarding SSL settings:
- If you’re using the default certificate from Step 4, please make sure to check the “Accept any server SSL certificate” box.
- If you’d like to use a certificate issued by your organization or an otherwise signed certificate, you can replace the
ssl_cert.pemfiles generated by the script, or adjust the
server3t.inifile to point to your custom key pair. This means you do not have to check the “Accept any server SSL certificate” box.
18. Click on Test Connection and apply configuration and debug as needed. If you get an error, please make sure that your firewall is configured to allow connections to Server 3T (See installation step #3).
19. Once successfully tested, click OK. Studio 3T is now configured to run with Server 3T.
Run remote migrations on-demand
2. Run the migration on Server 3T.
To run the entire migration, choose Run migration > Run migration on Server 3T.
To run only a part of the migration, select the import units from the Overview tab and choose Run selected units > Run selected units on Server 3T.
3. Name your migration task. You can also choose to save the task locally by checking the box below.
4. You should see a message confirming the migration will be run on Server 3T. Click OK to confirm.
5. You will be redirected to the Operation log tab of Server 3T, where you can check the status of your and your team’s migrations.
Here you can click on Refresh to update the log, or on Remove selected finished operations (select all or individual operations) to declutter the log.
1. Click on Tasks in the global toolbar.
2. Under the Task list tab, choose an existing migration from the list then click Run on Server 3T.
3. You should see a message confirming the migration will be run on Server 3T. Click OK to start the migration.
4. You will be redirected to the Operation log tab of Server 3T, where you can check the status of your and your team’s migrations.
5. Here you can click on Refresh to update the log, or on Remove selected finished tasks (select all or individual tasks) to declutter the log.
Run remote scheduled SQL migrations
2. Save the migration as a task and name it, then click OK.
3. Click on Open Task Viewer to view your saved task(s). Alternatively, click on the Tasks button in the toolbar.
4. Under the Task list tab, choose the task you want to run on Server 3T then click Schedule.
5. Choose Server 3T as the execution target, schedule the task, then click Save.
Your task will then appear under the Scheduled Server 3T tasks tab.
Choose a task from the list to activate the Edit schedule to make changes to the schedule, and the Unschedule button to remove a task from the list.
7. The migration will run remotely on your server instance at the scheduled time.
You can check its progress by clicking on Server 3T in the global toolbar and clicking on the Operation log tab.
8. To remove operations from the log, select the individual operations or all operations, then click Remove selected finished operations.
Save operation logs as .log or .csv files
Click on Server 3T on the global toolbar, then click on the Operation log tab for an overview of all previously-run migration tasks.
Choose a migration task from the list. This will show its actual operation log details in the panel below.
To save these log details as a file, click on Save to save as a .log file, or click on Save as CSV to save as a .csv file. Note that you can only save these details as a file one migration at a time.
Is there a free Server 3T trial?
Yes. Users on a License Manager-based Enterprise license can download and install Server 3T, and claim their free 512 MB credit directly through the License Manager.
The 512 MB credit is granted per license. This means the credit will be split among all users, whether you have one seat or 15 seats on one license. There is also no trial time limit. The credit will remain valid for the duration of the license.
Interested users on a Core, Pro or legacy Enterprise license can contact us for a custom trial.
Server 3T is currently not available for users on the free 30-day trial.
Can we try Server 3T as a team?
The Studio 3T license admin/owner first needs to configure the Server 3T instance.
Users also need to be on the same Studio 3T license to access the same Server 3T instance. We will not support the case of users on License A being able to trial Server 3T through License B.
- If you’re the license admin/owner, please refer to steps 1-15 of the installation instructions.
- If you’re a user, gather the hostname, port, and proxy details from your license admin/owner and continue from Step 16 of the installation instructions.
What happens after the free trial?
Once you run out of the free 512 MB credit, you will need to purchase Server 3T.
Server 3T can be purchased per core (or parallel execution unit) – not by quota.
How can I purchase Server 3T?
If you already have a Studio 3T Enterprise license
Server 3T can be purchased per core (or parallel execution unit). Each core costs $4,999 and is not limited by volume or number of users.
Purchasing one core means your team can run their scheduled migrations sequentially. Purchasing two cores means you can run up to two jobs in parallel, and so on. The more cores you purchase, the more jobs you can run in parallel.
Contact our Sales team to purchase Server 3T.